If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident, here is a brief explanation of some of the organisations and legal terms you are likely to encounter when making a compensation claim in Adelaide.
The word “damages” is what lawyers say when they mean compensation. It generally takes the form of money paid to an injured person by or on behalf of the person who caused the injury.
The injured person is called the “plaintiff” or “claimant”.
The person who caused the accident is called the “defendant”.Details
Many types of treatment expenses can be claimed, including:
- General Medical (such as General Practitioner)
- Specialist Medical (such as Spinal, Orthopaedic, Neurosurgeon, Pain Management, Psychiatrist, Rehabilitation, Occupational etc)
- Pharmaceutical (prescribed and over-the-counter medication)
- Attendant carers
- Devices, equipment, aids & supplies (crutches, walkers, wheelchairs, patient-lifters, TENS units etc)
- Therapeutic massage
- Acupuncture & acupressure
You do not need to seek permission from Allianz to have any specific type of treatment – this is a decision for you after discussion with your treating doctors. However, if you wish Allianz to fund any treatment on an ongoing basis (ie before settling your car accident compensation claim), then you will need a prior referral from a treating doctor AND prior funding approval from Allianz.Details
If you are thinking about claiming compensation for a personal injury, here are some things you should think about.
A personal injury claim can be stressful, lengthy and uncertain. Choosing the right lawyer to work with you will have a big impact on the outcome of your case.
How do you know which lawyer to choose? To help you decide, here are some questions you should be asking:
Which law firm should I deal with?
- Like other businesses, law firms can come and go. So you want one that has a proven track-record, and has been around long enough to earn a good reputation.
- When dealing with a large law firm, some people can feel like a small cog in a large machine. Different departments, changing staff and bureaucracy can seem impersonal. Details